Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mistake at the lab

There was a mistake with Riley's Alpha-1 Antitrypsin test. Somewhere along the way, the results were read incorrectly and the old results were mistakenly reported instead of the new results. And the new results are much, much better!

His new result was 12. A normal result would produce a test results of less than 55. Riley's previous result--from a few days before he was admitted to UCSF in March--was 160, and that was the number that was erroneously reported to us about two weeks ago.

Dr. Tarnoff told me that we are probably out of the woods for PLE, but we will retest in about six months to confirm that things are holding steady.

9 comments:

Dani said...

Congrats on the mistake. Hopefully this means that there will be no more worries about PLE. Glad to see the happy update.

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness! That is great news! I hope they apologized profusely for making such a big mistake!

Shannon said...

That is wonderful news. I hate that they put you through it but for you and Riley it is fabulous and just like getting a reprieve.

I am hoping he continues doing well.

swamps said...

OMG!!! what a relief, though. :-)

Unknown said...

So glad to hear about the mistake. How did they happen upon it? It really didn't make sense knowing how he is thriving!
Hope he continues to do so.

Byrne Reese said...

What great news!

$ugarDaddy said...

It's good they discovered their mistake. I wonder how they figured it out? I also wonder if they fixed the root cause of the mistake. Well I guess to err is human and to forgive is divine. Hopefully you are feeling relieved enough to be divine :-)

Wyndi said...

we hope you have a happy thanksgiving
~ love Wyndi Steven and Izabell

CHD Mom said...

I stumbled upon Riley's blog while researching PLE. My son also has Dextrocardia, Sytis Inversis (sp?), VSD, Hypoplastic Left, Pulmonary Atresia and DORV. He has had some complications since the fontan, with pleural effussion and edema, and slightly low protein levels, so now they are testing for the possibility of PLE...which led me to your sight.

Oh my goodness! This boy has been through it. I have sat here for hours reading your posts, and nodding my head. Laughing out loud at your comments...love the one about the nurse and the brain damage comment. Everything you said, I just feel like someone else has walked in my shoes. And mostly, I cried. I cannot imagine what this is like for a 3/4 year old, who is so much more aware of what is going on. My son, Tucker had a terrible year, and even at 2 years old, it was just so emotionally disturbing for him. To watch them go through that is just, well, no words can tell, can they?

I am certainly encouraged by your story, and I would LOVE to talk to you.

You can check out Tucker's story at carepages.com. His page name is tuckerupdate .

Please please PLEASE email me if you ever have time to talk. candy1078@comcast.net

Take care, and I am looking forward to many many more updates on Riley.